Developing a passion for prayer is possible for every believer in Jesus Christ.
Here are 10 things to consider while you grow in your passion for prayer:
- Acknowledge your sin: One of the roles of the Holy Spirit is to convict us of sin. His conviction brings life, while man’s condemnation brings death. The Holy Spirit will always draw you to Jesus as your Life, so follow His leading.
- Faith in action: Study the examples of those people who walked by faith. For example, Hebrews 11 gives a beautiful description of many people who trusted God. When your faith is weak, then ask Jesus for His strength to help you.
- Choose to obey: Obedience is better than sacrifice. You learn obedience by trusting God, even when you make a mistake. He sees your heart, and your willingness to try, so continue to read His Word and obey His voice.
- Be genuine: The light of Christ dwells in you, so let His light shine. This means you are called to be authentic before God and before other people. Your authentic self – Christ within you – is who God calls you to be.
- Practice forgiveness: Forgive others just as He has forgiven you. When you practice forgiveness you release yourself from your offender. This freedom allows you to walk in the genuine love that Jesus demonstrated on the cross.
- Still your heart: If your life is busy, then take time to quiet yourself before God. When you are quiet, you are at rest. Being at rest means you are better able to hear His voice, receive His love, and experience His peace.
- Socialize: Spend time outside of your box. Be with other believers in Christ who can support you. Share your concerns, be involved in their lives, and take time to build authentic relationships with those you can trust.
- Pray for others: Intercede on behalf of other people as they make their prayer requests known you. This allows you to be “other focused” and it helps to give you a bigger picture of what is happening around you, and how you can provide support to others.
- Listen to Jesus: He desires to speak with you, as much as you enjoy talking with Him. He knows the desires of your heart, and He wants to help you to explore your passions with Him. Listening to Him allows you to become better acquainted with His voice and knowing His direction for your life.
- Find a mentor: Every believer in Jesus Christ needs a mentor. This is a person you admire, who is mature in their faith, and who is willing to spend time with you, as you mature in your own faith.
Heavenly Father, help us to grow in our passion for prayer. May we consider what is important in your eyes, so that we can continue to be conformed to the image of your Son, and our Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.